Introduction to Felt
What is an Introductory Course?
This is a short 30 hour course introducing the basics of Feltmaking and Design. It is for people with little or no feltmaking experience who wish to try out a formal course to see if the style suits them.
• You will learn the basic traditional felt making skills, building a library of samples.
• You will work a series of paper exercises to introduce the design elements that underpin our craft work.
Who is the course for?
The course is offered as an on-line course as a taster for those who wish to try out this style of learning. It is suitable for absolute beginners who wish to try out felt making and a formal craft course. It would also suit a textile student wishing to extend their skills base.
How is the course organised?
This is a 30 hour course leading to a City & Guilds 7716 –L1-14 Certificate in Feltmaking.
It concentrates on developing good feltmaking skills through a range of samples and exercises that builds into a reference file.
The assignments include:
• How to make felt using a variety of wools and techniques.
• Simple design considerations, such as colour, shape, line and texture
• Working with texture using a range of fibres.
• A simple 3D piece using a resist.
All courses are a progression of 10 assignments.
• This course is available as an on-line course for £295, including your City & Guilds registration fee. You can start at any time and would be expected to complete the course in three months. You can take up to six months for no extra fee.
• Upon registration you will be enrolled in our virtual college where you will receive and upload assignments. You will also have access to our communal area where you can share felt experiences with our other students. On completion of the course you will post everything to me for formal assessment.
• You are responsible for providing materials and equipment for your course.