Introduction to Hand Embroidery
What is an Introductory Course?
This is a short 30 hour course introducing the basics of Hand Embroidery and Design. It is for people with little or no embroidery experience who wish to learn a new craft.
• You will learn the basic traditional hand embroidery skills, building a library of samples.
• You will work a series of paper exercises to introduce the design elements that underpin our craft work.
Who is the course for?
It is suitable for absolute beginners who wish to try out embroidery and a formal craft course. It would also suit a textile student wishing to extend their skills base.
How is the course organised?
This is a 30 hour course leading to a City & Guilds 7716 –L1-06 Certificate in Hand Embroidery.
It concentrates on developing good embroidery skills through a range of samples and exercises that builds into a reference file.
The assignments include:
• How to make and use a rich range of hand embroidery stitches. This will include free and counted thread techniques..
• Simple design considerations, such as colour, shape, line and texture
• You will be introduced to a range of materials, tools and equipment.
All courses are a progression of 10 assignments.
• You attend at our ArtyBird Centre in Carnforth, Lancashire
• You will start in September and meet for a 2 days a month, for 6 days.
• You would be expected to put in around a day a week of study to complete the course.
• You are responsible for providing materials and equipment for your course. There is a studio fee that gives you access to a wide range of art material, tools and dyes.
• The cost for the course will be £250, plus £50 City & Guilds registration and administration fees per year, plus £5 studio fee. Fees are reviewed every year.
Meet your Tutor
Angie Burt is an accomplished embroiderer. She is passionate about traditional techniques and excited by modern developments. Her background is Fashion and she used to owned her own Boutique. Now she lives and breathes embroidery, studying for her Advanced Diploma. She enjoys designing her work and is studying Creative Computing to develop these skills. She is inspired by nature and the patterns created on animals and plants. Angie is becoming a popular tutor in our area and we are delighted to have her join our team.
For more details please telephone us on 01524 874890, or click here
for a pdf with this information.